Sunday, April 11, 2010

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

My poet friend Joanna is celebrating National Poetry Month by writing a poem every day in April. I am definitely not doing that. However, the other day, Joanna wrote a really cool pantoum based on lines from postcards people have sent her over the years. I wanted to try it, too. I have a sizeable collection of postcards. The ones with the nicest fronts are adorning my cubicle at work. The others have been languishing for years in an envelope in my closet-- until today.
---

Beautiful. Everything is beautiful.
Much nicer than I could ever afford.
We've had glorious weather.
Tired, but on to Minneapolis today.

Much nicer than I could ever afford,
just like in the movies.
Tired, but on to Minneapolis today
despite a little problem with my visa.

Just like in the movies:
the subzero windchill on this hostile, lifeless ridge.
Despite a little problem with my visa,
this castle was totally obliterated.

The subzero windchill on this hostile, lifeless ridge:
this is why the GRE scares me.
This castle was totally obliterated;
thought you might like a picture of the Queen.

It's a great time!
We've had glorious weather.
This is my castle - I bought it on a whim.
Beautiful. Everything is beautiful.

---
If you've sent me a postcard any time in the last 16 years, thanks for the inspiration! Do you recognize your lines?

7 comments:

Scott Teresi said...

That's a great idea! Great postcard lines, and even better when combined to make unintended meanings.

"the subzero windchill on this hostile, lifeless ridge" has got to be when I was hiking in the winter with Wes in Colorado!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scott-teresi/3425218227/in/set-72157616533262262/

Scott Teresi said...

I want to find out what the other lines were from... who observed a castle obliterated? Or bought one? Or witnessed all that beauty, in fact, every single thing being beautiful?

Alison said...

Observed a castle obliterated: Julie in Poland. Bought a castle: Frank in Spain. Witnessed beauty: Grandma in Vegas.

Frank L said...

It has probably been 16 years since I sent my last postcard... did not recognize my line!

Mars Girl said...

Hey, Frank, you bought a castle in Spain? ;) Can I borrow it for a few months while I write my novel?

Alison said...

Frank's castle in Spain

Yes, I think you could get some mighty fine timeshares out of this. Or... future home of the Columbus Catholic Worker?

schroederjt said...

I love this! You are also the perfect person to write a postcard pantoum, as you have the most extensive post card collection of anyone I know.