Thursday, January 22, 2009

Soundtrack to Life

I'm stealing this meme from Diane and moving it from Facebook over here to the blogosphere. These are the rules:

1. Open your library (iTunes, Winamp, Media Player, iPod, etc).
2. Put it on shuffle.
3. Press play.
4. For every question, type the song that's playing.
5. When you go to a new question, press the next button.
6. Don't lie and try to pretend you're cool.

So mine is:

Opening Credits:
Someone Keeps Moving My Chair (They Might Be Giants)
Yep, story of my life.

Waking Up:
U Plavu Zoru (Pink Martini)
Google Translate tells me this is Serbian for "in the blue dawn."

First Day of School:
Mountains (Andy Kohler)
Hey, how about that! Although, if I were cheating, I might have picked Some Mornings are Good for this category.

Falling in Love:
I Live My Life (Firehouse)
Cheesy '80's ballad destined for a Time Life anthology of some sort.

Fight Song:
Everybody Has the Blues (James Taylor)
Go team! Get over it!

Breaking Up:
Do It This Way (Squirrel Nut Zippers)
Whoa, this really is a breakup song, albeit a very strange one.

Prom:
The Wanderer (U2 with Johnny Cash?)
I don't know what to make of this one, but I never went to prom, so there you have it.

Life's Just OK:
I Do But I Don't (Tim McGraw)
Good old country wishy washiness.

Mental Breakdown:
Can't Find My Way Home (Eric Clapton)
Aha! Very appropriate.

Driving:
America (Simon & Garfunkel)
Why yes, it did take me four days to hitchhike from Saginaw...

Flashback:
Outbound Plane (Suzy Boggus)
Hindsight is 20/20.


Getting Back Together:
How Sweet it is (To Be Loved By You) (James Taylor)
Awww... James redeems himself for that lame fight song earlier.

Birth of Child:
Spider Fingers (Bruce Hornsby)
If someone were to play this while I was in labor, I just might kick that person in the teeth.

Wedding:
How to Disappear Completely (Radiohead)
LOL

Final Battle:
Chariot (Gavin DeGraw)
Evidently I need to expand my collection of fight songs.

Death Scene:
Come Running (Van Morrison)
Death by tripping? Yeah, that could be me.

Ending Credits:
Playing to the Firmament (Dar Williams)
Turns out I was only playing to the firmament this whole time.








23 comments:

Frank L said...

Wow! How uncanny. Or maybe it's like astrology where anything will fit if given the chance.

I can't wait to try this out, soon as my home computer is hooked up again.

That One Dude said...

Fun!! Are you responsible for songs that aren't really yours? I'd like to do this, too, but I had a lot of Scott's music collection gifted to me, and I'm afraid Avril Lavigne will pop up.

Alison said...

The Kohler, Firehouse, U2, and Radiohead were originally Scott's but I counted them anyway. Good thing I deleted that 14-minute track of Beck screaming.

Frank L said...

I have a lot of concert recordings. Big chance I'll end up with "interlude - people clapping".

Mars Girl said...

Wait a minte. Scott has Avril Lavigne in his music collection??? Dont tell me he's got Tori Amos, too. ;)

Frank L said...

He has some pretty atrocious selections, but I still don't think he has Advil LeFemme.

Frank L said...

I know for a fact he likes Sarah McLachlan.

Alison said...

I suspect that bashing Scott's musical tastes might not be the best way to lure him into the world of Web 2.0...

That One Dude said...

Hey, I'm laughing WITH him!

Frank L said...

I suspect that bashing Scott's musical tastes might not be the best way to lure him into the world of Web 2.0...

Actually, it might be the one thing that actually could do it...

Mars Girl said...

Oh well. I suppose we all have our "trashy" music... Like, I have Crazy Town's "Butterfly" in my playlist, I'm embarrassed to admit. And also Kansas' "Carry On My Wayward Son." And Sniff 'N Tears' "Driver's Seat." =)

Scott Teresi said...

I have one Avril Lavigne song I don't listen to. I like Sting,Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan, The Cranberries, and 10,000 Maniacs from living with Mike at Toledo. They give me a nice sense of nostalgia still. I daresay these are talented musicians, whether some people like their style or not is another matter! I also admit to being a big fan of Bjork, and Tortoise, and lots of spirited but sappy 80's one-hit wonders. I have plenty more embarrassing than that, but hopefully a lot of "good" stuff too. It might take a week's worth of random play to encapsulize it! Maybe I'll give the game a shot, though (being careful not to promise too much in a public forum).

Scott Teresi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott Teresi said...

Alright, I did it! I went with exactly what's in Party Shuffle right now, minus any repeating artists (I can't remember how to turn that off in iTunes). It only selects songs I've rated three stars and above, so luck is on my side I guess. It's what I would've ended up listening to while programming tonight. I'll start with the song that just finished.


Opening Credits:
Treefingers (Radiohead)
This instrumental makes me think of floating in deep murky water, with rays of light appearing and disappearing. The humming and whirring sounds and erratic rhythms Radiohead uses make me think of being born into a modern technological age.

Waking Up:
Volver A Empezar, Begin The Beguine (Lisa Ono)
A tranquil bossa nova. So I'm waking up, and I have to do a foxtrot-like dance to the bathroom.

First Day of School:
Diamond Dogs (Beck, Moulin Rouge soundtrack)
I never listened to the lyrics, but maybe all the excitement fits in with social anxiety and fear of being judged in school.

Falling in Love:
Known for Years (Rachael Yamagata)
It looks like this list works best if you know the lyrics, but often I don't focus on them. I can't even figure these ones out after reading them. It sounds like she's been interested in someone for years, and then when they finally go out, it doesn't work out, and she's ashamed of having the crush the whole time or something.

Fight Song:
Wolf In The Breast (Cocteau Twins)
I don't think this is a fight song. I thought it was in a foreign language, but apparently it's inscrutible English! It has nice layered mellow melodies. I guess I don't need to fight.

Breaking Up:
Midnight Rider (Allman Brothers)
I don't want to know what precipitated this breakup... they're not going to catch me now!

Prom:
Sweet Surrender (John Denver)
I really love John Denver's early 70's music. When I was thirteen, my parents played three of his tapes a lot as we drove cross country to Wyoming and Yellowstone Park for six weeks. I got a feel for how expansive the country was and experienced the exhilaration of being on the road and surrounded by nature unlike anything back at home, and that stayed with me.
The song starts out, you're lost and alone, but you're also free and liberated and happy to surrender to whatever life brings. I guess that would have to be a really idealized prom.

Life's Just OK:
Aquarius (Fifth Dimension)
Life's just okay? But it's the dawning of a new age where peace will guide all the planets, and love will steer the stars!!

Mental Breakdown:
Standing Still (Jewel)
Don't stand still too long I guess!

Driving:
A Taste Of Honey (Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass)
I'll go with this... few people are as energized by the Tijuana Brass. I'll take it on a road trip!

Flashback:
Ask The Lonely (Journey)
That's a flashback! Anthem to a hopeful romantic youth with unknown future, though I guess the song is something about if you're unhappy with who you have, just ask the lonely.

Getting Back Together:
Naked in the Jungle (Van Morrison)
LOL!!

Birth of Child:
Old Friends (Simon and Garfunkel)
An English major could come up with a good way this song fits. Maybe the old friends like bookends on a park bench are talking about a new grandkid.

Wedding:
Like Someone In Love (Bjork)
Shucks, I missed this category and put down songs for the rest! If I add another random song, it works out perfect. It's oh so quiet, you're gazing at stars, walking like you have wings, bumping into things, like someone in love!

Final Battle:
Bright Days (Norman Blake and Tony Rice)
This is a light, polite two-step instrumental. If I'm going to have a battle, it had better be over something like which treehouse we're going to challenge each other to a game of checkers in.

Death Scene:
You're Getting to be a Habit With Me (Bing Crosby)
Habits are often bad for your health... I wonder what this woman did to me.

Ending Credits:
At Last (Glenn Miller)
Not the Etta James version, but hey, that's a great song to go out on. Hopefully I met the person a lot earlier in life, though.


That was fun. Alison's worked out so well it was uncanny. It's pretty funny how most songs can give you a perspective on almost any situation and seem like they fit like destiny!

(I got the links from iTunes. Once I started, I couldn't stop!)

Alison said...

Hey you with your fancy hyperlinks! Ever think about getting your own blog?

Mars Girl said...

Yeah, Scott, your website is outdated. You need a blog like the rest of us... ;)

Scott Teresi said...

Yeah, I should definitely start a blog. But it all depends on what my blog-starting song turns out to be.

Frank L said...

Click "shuffle" and find out...


(this is much better than the magic 8 ball!)

Frank L said...

Opening Credits:
Southern Son (Bruce Springsteen)
Hmm... Off to a weird start. I don’t know this song well. Maybe that’s apropos, since I don’t know myself well. It’s an unreleased demo from the early days of the 70s. I have always wondered if I belonged in the South somewhere, at least somewhere in Appalachia. I guess that’s not really the South, but it is to us Ohioans! Based on a quick listen to the lyrics, I think the song should be spelled “Southern Sun”. Bootleggers can’t spell, that’s for sure.

Waking Up:
Legalize It/Get Up Stand Up (Peter Tosh at the One Life Concert)
Gosh, just getting weirder. I will say that a bad experience with marijuana was a watershed moment in my life, and woke me up in many ways and jumpstarted my spiritual journey in no uncertain terms. It also kept my asleep in many ways, too, though. I might set my alarm clock to “Get Up, Stand Up!” Maybe then I’ll actually attend morning prayer.

First Day of School:
Santa Claus is Coming to Town (Bruce Springsteen, Kansas City, ’85)
Okay, all my interpretive skills are failing right now. School is nothing like Christmas.

Falling in Love:
Nebraska (Bruce Springsteen)
Uh... This is a song about a guy who picks up a girl who’s just standing by the road and the two of them go off together to shoot and kill 7 people, based on a true story. The song ends with the guy in the electric chair. I’m about ready to quit this little meme.

Fight Song:
Raining on Sunday (Keith Urban)
Wait, is this a love song? Or maybe I don’t know the difference between love and fighting? Maybe I have them mixed up. Oh gosh, this could be true.

Breaking Up:
Harvest Moon (Neil Young with the Stray Gators)
Yep, I’m thoroughly mixed up. This is a song about getting back together, But again, I don’t know the difference. Maybe this meme is smarter than I thought it was.

Prom:
If I Was A Priest (Bruce Springsteen)
Might as well have been a priest given my prom experiences.

Oh shoot, I just missed one here... not sure what to do now... put them in their original order or keep going where I am?

Life’s Just OK:
You Can Make It If You Try (Sly and the Family Stone)
Don’t let the plastic bring you down! Yeah! (I originally had this for Mental Breakdown, which seems to fit better). “Life’s just okay” is not a bad goal. In fact, that sounds awfully good.

Mental Breakdown:
Introductions (Bruce Springsteen & the Seeger Sessions Band, Boston ’07)
I knew one of these non-songs would make it on this list. #$%$. What do I take from this? I guess: If I have a mental breakdown, I need me a band!

Driving:
Though the Mountains May Fall (Dan Schutte)
Okay, I had this as a flashback song at first until I realized I screwed up the order. I have good flashbacks of this song singing it on retreat. I guess it is good to remember that though the mountains may fall and the hills turn to dust, yet the Lord of the Lord will stand. Nothing quite like a road trip going on a service retreat...

Flashback:
Holding (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band)
This song sounds like an LSD flashback. I will bend just like a willoooowww treeee... holding my door open to the wind!

Getting Back Together:
Running Kind (Merle Haggard)
Okay, it’s official. I’m totally fucked up. My getting back together song is about running away. There is nothing wrong with this meme. It’s dead center, bull’s-eye true.

Birth of Child:
Scootcha-Booty (Al Jarreau)
LOL

Wedding:
Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) (Willie Nelson)
Oh. Dear. God. Somebody help me. I had my foot on the gas and when I left it blew out my mind. I’m a little scared to click “next.”

Final Battle:
Adam Raised a Cain (Bruce Springsteen & the Seeger Sessions Band)
I’m puzzled. Although issues with my dad have been the hardest in my life, so I can see how this is the key struggle in my life... maybe even the last battle I need to fight before peace.

Death Scene:
Melissa (Allman Brothers Band)
Another wandering, non-commital gypsy song. Crossroads, will you ever let him go? I better figure this out before my death scene that’s for damn sure.

Ending Credits:
Five Feet High and Rising (Johnny Cash, Madison Square Garden ’69)
I sure hope that continually rising floodwaters is not the dominant theme in my life. So far, though, I guess it’s held pretty true.

Frank L said...

Scott says I should be honored Johnny Cash did my closing song.

That One Dude said...

"Might as well have been a priest given my prom experiences."

LOL!!!

Alison said...

Nothing quite like a road trip going on a service retreat...

The spumoni song started playing in my head when I read this. And now I can't even remember what the real non-spumoni word is. Oh wait. I think it's "somebody".

Frank L said...

My heart's been secure since I first believed.

Coincidentally, that song's been going through my head the last few days as well, too. Maybe it's because there are occassionally hints of spring in the air and it's time for a road trip...?

A few corrections:

Peter Tosh at the One Love concert, not Life, although that fits, too.

Dan Schutte sings: "The love of the Lord will stand," not the Lord of the Lord.

I guess I had trouble typing the word "love" since I missed it on two very separate counts. Analysis, anyone? Shouldn't be hard given my reponses to the songs.